TRANSITION BEHAVIOR SCALE
by Stephen B. McCarney, Ed.D. &
Tamara J. Arthaud, Ph.D.
The Transition Behavior Scale-Third Edition (TBS-3) measures a student’s readiness for transition to employment and independent living. The greatest threat to success in employment and independent living is behavior which is inappropriate for those situations. The TBS-3 provides a measure of those behavioral characteristics most predictive of behavior in society in general and employment specifically. The TBS-3 subscales measure a student’s behavior in the areas of Work Related, Interpersonal Relations, and Social/Community Expectations.
When considering the student’s needs for transition, the TBS-3 provides teachers the convenient mechanism for measuring the student’s skills and readiness for transition activities. Based on the information provided, decisions can then be made as to areas of need for skill and behavior improvement for student success in transition to employment and independent living.
Internal consistency, test-retest, and inter-rater reliability; item and factor analysis; and content, criterion-related, and construct validity are documented and reported for the scale.
Characteristics and Components of the TBS-3
- The TBS-3 is based on the most current literature on behavioral evaluation and predictive reliability for employment and transition success.
- The TBS-3 School Version was standardized on a total of 1,967 students.
- The standardization sample included students from 22 states and represented all geographic regions of the United States.
- Factor analysis confirmed the three TBS-3 subscales.
- The TBS-3 School and Self-Report Versions provide separate norms for male and female students 12 through 18 years of age.
- The TBS-3 School and Self-Report Versions can be completed in approximately 15 minutes and include 62 items easily observed and documented by educational personnel or the student.
- The Transition Behavior Scale IEP and Intervention Manual includes IEP goals, objectives, and interventions for all 62 items on the scale.
The Transition Behavior Scale IEP and Intervention Manual (187 pages, © 1989) makes the vital link between transition behavior assessment and intervention by providing goals, objectives, and interventions for each specific behavior problem on the scale. By carefully following assessment results with intervention, the likelihood of student success in employment and independent living is maximized.
SURVIVAL SKILLS IN THE WORLD OF WORK
by Fred Pyrczak
Comprehensive exercises give your students experience using the printed materials they will encounter on the job. The reproducible activities also help them build reading comprehension, computation, writing, and interpersonal skills. Specific topics focus on job applications, employment tests, health plan questions, sick leave, and more. The book includes teaching suggestions, an occupational vocabulary test, and answers. Grades 8-Adult.
Survival Skills in the World of Work