SOCIAL SKILLS INTERVENTION MANUAL
Edited by Samm N. House
The Social Skills Intervention Manua
) is a compilation of goals, objectives, and intervention strategies for 63 behaviors grouped by categories:
- Problem Solving
- Decision Making/Goal Setting
- Academic Interactions.
It is designed to respond to the most typical social skills problems exhibited by students in educational settings. The interventions are appropriate for any student engaging in the selected behaviors.
The Social Skills Checklist
provides a means of calling attention to specific behaviors for the purpose of early intervention.
Samm N. House
The Social Communication Disorder Scale (SCDS) is based on the American Psychiatric Association (APA) definition of social (pragmatic) communication disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5™) (2013). The items and subscales (Social, Context, Rules, and Nonliteral) reflect the DSM-5™ diagnostic criteria.
Internal consistency, test-retest, and inter-rater reliability; item and factor analysis; and content, construct, and criterion-related validity are documented and reported for the scale.
The SCDS is an excellent screening instrument for making decisions about additional testing and services for students with social communication disorder.
Characteristics and Components of the SCDS
- Standardized on 2,468 students ages 4 through 18 years old.
- Standardization population included 1,323 males and 1,145 females.
- Standardization population closely approximated the demographic characteristics of the United States.
- Standard scores, quotient, and percentile are provided by gender and age.
- Internal consistency, item and factor analysis, standard errors of measurement, and test-retest reliability are reported.
- Content, criterion-related, concurrent, and construct validity are reported.
- The Social Communication Disorder Intervention Manual (House, 2016) can be used with the SCDS to develop IEP goals, objectives, and interventions for a student.
The Social Communication Disorder Intervention Manual (SCDIM) (186 pages, © 2016) contains goals, objectives, and interventions for writing a student’s IEP. Intervention strategies are provided for each communication skill on the scale. For pre-referral and classroom intervention, the Social Communication Disorder Intervention Manual is an excellent resource for all educators working in public and private educational settings.